Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Buttermaking in Tennessee



Our first 4 months of our Tennessee Journey were spent at our friend's home in Manchester. To say that we were blessed by their hospitality is an understatement. I met my friend in choir at my home church in Ohio, through a series of events, she found herself back in the state of her youth, married to a great guy and with a wonderful, adorable son. My friend and I are both "foodies" and one of our favorite things to do together was trying new things in the kitchen. My hubby would laugh at the two of us and tell us we were better than watching the "Food Network!"
I love baking and cooking, my friend loved cooking too, but was just beginning to flex her baking muscles so we would try new recipes like Lemon Blueberry cake and White Chocolate Lemon Biscotti. I also showed her how to make butter. Who would have thought such a simple task would have such a powerful message! Here is a page from my journal:
Butter Making - Aug 24, 2012
I just wanted to share something with you....the other day my friend and I decided to make some home-made butter. She and my husband had never made it before, but I had, and I knew what to expect.
We began by pouring some heavy cream into a jar with a tight-fitting lid. We secured the lid and then we began to shake the daylights out of it. We shook and shook and even shook some more. Eventually the cream turned into a frothy whipped cream. My friend wanted to open it up and look at it, but I said, "No, you can't disturb the process."
She stated, "Nothing is happening, I can't see anything moving and I can't hear anything either." I told her, "Be patient and KEEP SHAKING." We continued passing the jar around and we each took turns shaking it. As our arms grew weary, we would hand it off to the next person. They would take up where we left off.
Eventually, on the side of the jar, I began to see some clear patches and I knew what this signifies... we were getting VERY CLOSE, so I intensified my efforts, then SUDDENLY....WHUMP, WHUMP! The cream came together and we had a ball of very soft butter!
However, it was not done yet and we shook the jar some more. The more we shook, the more you could hear the sound of "an abundance of rain" as the liquid whey separated from the rich thick butter. My hubby thought we had added more liquid, but I had to tell him, "No, it's just the process."
Finally, we had a nice hard lump of butter, so we poured it out and separated the liquid whey from the solid butter. But, the butter wasn't ready....not just yet! We placed the butter in a dish and began to press it. As we applied pressure, more liquid whey came out of the butter. You would be surprised at how much pressing is required to get the butter to it's final state.
The pressing process is also the time that we give the butter its special flavor! Depending on what you have need of; this is the time when you add the right ingredients to create just the right flavor profile you desire. To one bowl, we added a little salt to make savory butter. To another bowl we added a little brown sugar and cinnamon to make it sweet! After the whole process, my friend said that in the middle of it all, when it didn't seem like anything was happening...it was! She then said, "Wow, that'll preach!"
Last night, we enjoyed the fruit of our labor slathered on some nice hot biscuits! I smiled as I look at my friends and family and reflected on what we had been through to enjoy this "promise." It spoke deeply to my spirit because many times we want the end result but we don't want to count the costs of what it takes to get there. The rewards of obedience are rich but it often takes time, pressure and a little bit of shaking to get there.
Fresh Butter
8 oz of heavy whipping cream
1 large, clean quart jar with a tight fitting lid
salt, optional
Pour the creamy into the jar, close the lid tightly and shake it until the soft ball stage. Continue to shake until the butter firms up to a ball. Open jar and pour out whey and then place butterball into a bowl. With the back of a spoon continue to press whey out of butter until all liquid is removed. Add salt or other desired flavoring. Pack into a pretty mold or other container and place in refrigerator to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment