Thursday, February 18, 2016

This is dedicated to the One I Love...

In my more than 20 years of walking with the Lord, I recall only asking for a “sign” twice.  Once when I began dating my husband and just yesterday.   I was having one of those mornings where it felt as if my prayers were hitting the ceiling and falling back down on my head with a thud. 
I immediately thought that maybe I had done something wrong and that my Daddy God was displeased with me.  I needed some encouragement and I asked Him to play a specific song on the radio for me during my commute that day to let me know if He was pleased with me…I have about 30 minute commute both ways so several songs can play on the radio while I’m coming and going.
I made it to work without hearing my request, but I thought to myself, “Well, there is still the drive home,” even as I found myself softly humming that song to myself as the day wore on.
Before you know it, quitting time rolled around and I began my drive home.  I began my drive on one radio station, but a song came on that I wasn’t a fan of, so I began to surf, stopping when a song came on that I liked.  I managed to work my way through various genres and every now and then, something would capture my attention.
But I soon found myself on the final stretch of road that would lead me home, still surfing.  Just as I turned down my road, I heard the soft melody of the song that had been “my special request.”  It was not on the station that I had originally been tuned to when I began my drive.
As I pulled into my driveway, my eyes filled with tears and I let the melody and the words soothe me and remind me that my Daddy God was a Good, Good Father.
The final strains of the song drifted away and I got out of the car and made my way into the house where my Beloved was waiting.  As I entered the house, a verse that I have always loved from the book of Psalms rose up in me:
I love the Lord because he hears my voice
    and my prayer for mercy.
Because he bends down to listen,
    I will pray as long as I have breath! Psalm 116:1-2 NLT
Isn’t that awesome…our Heavenly Father, bends down to listen to our prayers!  How sweet of a reminder is that.  My Daddy God loves me so much that he bent down and listened to the cry of my heart and dedicated a love song especially to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment