Sunday, November 23, 2014

Ummm...i LIKE pie!

Our Thanksgiving Feast would not be complete without pie and copious amounts of real whipped cream!  Ok, let's face it, I love whipped cream and I merely like pie!  Don't judge.
I have story after story of my love affair with whipped cream and how it led to my downfall on more than one occasion.
One such story sticks out in my mind and I'm sure my Mom and Dad remember it well.  I was maybe 10 or 11 and I was tasked with preparing the whipped cream for my Mom's dinner party later in the evening.  It was the whipped cream made with milk and an envelope of powdery goodness.   It was supposed to yield 2 cups of frothy delight.
I remember "tasting" it to make sure that it was suitable for Mom's company.  That was the beginning of the end...it was like the Siren's call to me and every 30 minutes or so I would check on it and make sure it still tasted ok.  I would be careful to smooth the whipped cream back up the sides of the bowl to make it still look like there were 2 billowy cups of creamy goodness.
I think I left to spend the weekend at my Father's house because I don't recall being there for the reveal.  I do however, remember my Mom asking me if I had sampled the whipped cream and I, um, well, couldn't lie and I told her I just tasted it!
Unbeknownst to me, when my Mom pulled out dessert and went to portion out the whipped cream she realized that she didn't seem to have quite the full 2 cups yield...she scraped out the remaining whipped cream into a measuring cup to find that I had left her only 1/4 cup...total!
This happened close to 30 years ago, and it still gets brought up from time to time...some tales are too good to let die and they just become part of the family lore!
My Pumkin Pie recipe is straight from the back of the can, substituting nutmeg for cloves.  My whipped cream recipe can be from a can, an envelope or carton...it just has to contain dairy!

Homemade Whipped Cream
1 8oz carton of heavy whipping cream
1 tsp of vanilla
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
Pour whipping cream into COLD mixing bowl, with a COLD wire whisk attachment whip on high speed until frothy, add vanilla and powdered sugar continuing to whip until soft peaks form.  If you prefer a firmer whipped cream whip until peak tips stand up but not much further than that or you will get sweet butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment