Thursday, April 24, 2014

I say Holubky, you say...Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

I know we’ve only just been introduced, but I have a confession to make, I am a total foodie!  I blame it on genetics.  I come from a multi-faceted, ethnic heritage that focused on family and wherever there was family, there was FOOD!  Not just any food, but delicious recipes handed down from generation to generation, that literally defined my childhood.
I’ve already shared that my Baba and Papa on my Mom’s side were always making memories filled with what I like to call, “Food Hugs.”  But it didn’t stop there, my paternal Grandfather was a chef; and my uncle’s on my Dad’s side owned and operated an Italian bakery for over 70 years. 
I am the definition of the American Melting Pot; my heritage includes Italian, Scottish, Irish, Slovak and Polish.  When my parent’s remarried a dash of Slovenian, English and German were added into my kettle of memories and it has proved to be a tasty dish indeed!
Not too many years ago, I found out that my Baba and I shared a unique obsession…well, I personally would not call it an obsession, more like a collection, really.  However, if you ask my hubby, he might disagree.  Recently, when we packed up our belongings to begin a sojourn in the South, I had over 5 boxes FULL of cookbooks!  Unfortunately, they have been languishing in storage for a while but I am hoping to unpack them in the very near future.
57470138.jpgOne of my most cherished cookbooks, is the one put out by the Ladies Guild of Queen of Heaven Church.  It‘s a keeper, let me tell you.  My Baba was the Vice President of the Ladies Guild back in her day (1978-1980) and this book is a who’s who of our family recipes.  There are recipes from my Mom, my aunt’s, my cousin’s, dear family friends and of course, my Grandparents.  I believe this book has been given to every one of the granddaughters, great-granddaughter’s and even some of the grandsons.  And, if they don’t have the cookbook, you can rest assured that they have enjoyed plenty of recipes from it.
Now, the cook book isn’t fancy, it’s just chock full of homey goodness!  The recipes have names like Watergate Salad, Corny Sloppy Joe’s, Working Mom’s Supper and Out of This World Cake. 
It makes the heart happy just flipping through the pages.  And we know that "A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22 AMP
It also contains some recipes with exotic names like Pirohi, Rozky, Bobalky, Pogach, Paprikash and Holubky.  Known to my family as Holubky, the rest of the world may know it better as…
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Holubky)
Baba Mary
1 head cabbage (3lbs)                                  
1 large can of sauerkraut, (rinsed well before using)
1 ½ lb ground chuck                                      
½ lb ground pork
1 egg
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp shortening
1 medium onion, chopped
1 c. uncooked rice (washed)
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium can tomatoes
1 quart tomato or vegetable juice (my addition)
1 tsp garlic (my addition)
Sauté onion in shortening until lightly browned.  Combine with meat, rice, egg, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic.  Mix well.  Remove core from cabbage, place in boiling water for 2-3 minutes until leaves begin to separate.  Drain and allow to cool slightly.
Spread each leaf (on thick side) with meat mixture. Fold one side over meat then roll from thick end and tuck other side into meat mixture.  In a large roaster, place sauerkraut on bottom and any left-over cabbage leaves.  Place cabbage rolls on top.  Add tomatoes and then add enough juice to cover rolls.  Cook slowly about 2 ½ hours at 325° to 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment